Sunday 6 March 2016

The Next Generation of Management

So, I'm sitting at the table studying, and the theme to Star Trek The Next Generation comes on. I'm taking a course called Introduction to Management through Athabasca University and today I'm reading about organizational heroes and organizational stories. The music seemed fitting to me because as I'm reading about organizational heroes I start to parallel my experiences at Silent River with my love of The Next Generation.

Of course Captain Picard is trying to constantly trying to inspire in his crew the abilities and characteristics that I think we value at Silent River. Compassion, empathy, patience, the ability to teach and to lead, the importance of community and our peers, and of course, the passion for our mission. We tell organizational stories to remind ourselves and our peers of our values and beliefs, and to teach people that are new to our organization why those values and beliefs still apply to the world that we live in, and the importance of what we're trying to accomplish.

I'm sure when someone wrote this business textbook they had no idea where my mind was going to go with this. But I think the best way to learn is to apply the things that I'm learning to my own life and my own experiences, and so although this may not be the application intended, I think it has just as much, if not more, value.

I know I'm probably nerding out right now and a lot of people are either too old or way too cool to know what I'm talking about. But, the message is hopefully there.

No comments: