Wednesday 23 March 2016

Family Obligation

Acts of kindness are something that I'm struggling with. It's not that I don't think I'm kind, but am I mindfully kind? Sometimes..

It takes about 5 minutes before I realize that I did something kind. It's like I perform an act of kindness but, it takes time for it to sink in. Like, oh yeah! That was kind of me.

So I'm making an effort this week to be more mindful of my actions. I'm a compassionate person, but I think being more aware of my actions can really just make me more thoughtful and mindful of the what I'm doing and why I'm doing it and who I'm doing them for, and how people are benefiting    myself included.

Last week I went to my Aunt's house to help her move some of the stuff out of her basement. I was thinking to myself on the way there that I would have preferred to be going because I wanted to help her out. And I did. But I also felt obligated to go because she's my Aunt, and she's done a lot for me. It made me question my motivation for kindness. Sometimes it's tough with family to make the distinction between duty and graciousness. Hopefully working on being more mindful, will help with my perspective.

No comments: