Sunday 15 April 2018

Sparring

Sparring is something I've always loved. Not that I've ever enjoyed getting punched in the eye or nose or anywhere for that matter. But I love the thrill of it and trying to implement new techniques or styles.

When we were training in China, sparring was something that I dreaded. We didn't practice with control, and we had very little guidance. Most of our sparring was matches with opponents chosen for size, and the directions to punch each other as hard as we could. Further on, when we added kicking, there was somewhat more instruction, but still, for an unseasoned student, it was frightening. Yes, there were injuries, but fortunately, nothing that didn't heal.

Something I realized while sparring with a group on Saturday was how much I learned from those experiences. One, I learned that an insane Chinese kid isn't going to stop trying to punch you as hard as he can in the face, unless you punch him as hard as you can. Two, I learned that it's hard to let go of your control when you're not in a life or death situation. Three, I learned some things about technique, due to injuries from poor form.

But one of the things I definitely learned, that has made me a lot more confident in my sparring, is that put a pair of gloves on, and you can take a lot more than you expect. It's amazing to spar with people you trust. Mistakes can be made, but you know that everyone is doing their best to save you from injury. You can laugh with someone after a good punch in the eye, when there is no ego in the match, you're both just practicing.

I was reminded of the amazing culture of the students at Silent River, and how lucky I am to be a part of it. Thanks for all the rounds!

No comments: