Sunday 29 April 2018

Curriculum

One of the most difficult parts of planning our own school is deciding what to incorporate in our curriculum. There are so many valuable tools that I have learned here, and in China, and sometimes I struggle to see how the two will mesh together. I want to continue with my Kempo training. We practice much more application, sparring and shield work skills here than we did in China. But at the same time, a large portion of my practice there was what we call "internal". We practiced Tai Ji and Qi Gong every day, and built a great foundation for our internal alchemy. Not that this practice doesn't exist here, but it is not our main focus, at least generally, not until we reach a much higher level. 

Somehow, I like to envision a curriculum that incorporates both as major components to our training. I personally have felt the benefits of a daily practice that incorporates the internal and the external, hard and soft, slow and fast. And I'm certain that it can be achieved, it's really how to create the right culture in the school to nurture both these practices. Which I feel like Silent River has done in a way, but the question is how? How do you teach the student that is interested in studying meditation and qi gong, the value of something like sparring? And how does one teach the student most interested in practicing applications and techniques, the value of Tai Ji and meditation? 

In my daily gratitude journal, almost every day, I am thankful for the mentors I have, and the community I am a part of. I hope to be able to continue to communicate these values to the next generation of martial artists. 

No comments: