Monday 28 December 2015

New Mexico

I missed last week's post, which sucks because I've been doing so well with my blog posts. I could make excuses about holidays and terrible wifi at this low budget hotel in New Mexico, but I probably could have made it happen if I put in an effort. Although EspaƱola is not the kind of town full of Starbucks... It's been awesome so far spending time with Brandi and her husband Simon and getting to know his family a little better.

Today we went on a hike to Bandelier National Monument. To everyone else it was probably a pretty moderate hike, but according to my Fitbit I walked more than 5km there. I've walked that in a day before, but never really all at once, so I was pretty proud of myself, and now I'm pretty exhausted. There's some beautiful mesas and Ancestral Puebloan structures, rock paintings and petroglyphs. It was amazing there. The weather really could not have been better either!

After we went to Los Alamos to the Bradbury Science Museum which was a mixture of fascinating and sad, because Los Alamos is where the atomic bombs that America dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were created. I'm not sure I can put into words how it felt to look at reproductions of the bombs, and to read the accounts of some of the people involved in their creation. People didn't realize at first what they were doing, the power of their destruction. It was a bit depressing, but a good reminder of our past mistakes, but also the power of scientific discovery.

No comments: