Thursday 30 January 2014

Food

I'm someone that makes food decisions pretty thoughtfully. While I'm home, I find it much easier to maintain a healthy diet. Every day the food that I eat is a choice, and because I have little control over a lot of my life while I'm here, I can exercise what control I have over my eating habits. That doesn't mean that I never indulge, but when I do it's always a conscious decision to do so. Nearing the end of last year I started cooking all of my own food. I haven't been able to keep up with that so far this year because I have some more commitments than I had last year and so, less free time.

I usually start the week off really well. Friday starts and I'm eating healthy. Lots of fruit and nuts, and very little of the school food. I usually eat chocolate every day, but generally just a couple of pieces and I have pretty good control over my consumption. By the time Tuesday comes around though, I'm struggling. The more physically and mentally tired I get over the week, the harder it is to practice mindfulness in regards to food.

The thing that I've noticed though is that my self-perception seems to be directly related to what I eat. If I eat really well for three days straight, I generally feel pretty confident, and content. It's just so fascinating to me that I can look in the mirror and see myself completely different day to day.

I'm constantly a work in progress.



“Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. Life would undergo a change of appearance because we ourselves had undergone a change of attitude.”

Katherine Mansfield


No comments: