Wednesday 8 January 2014

Back at it

Week number 1. Finished. I know it's only Wednesday there, but here, my weekend starts on Wednesday. I'm pretty sore. I had a fairly brutal cold this week. I took Monday off of training due to a very sore cough, but was back at it on Tuesday afternoon. One of my goals is 150 pushups and situps per day. So I missed a few on the day I took off, but I made them up on the following day. I have to say that going from being on break and not doing hardly any pushups, to doing 150 a day, maybe not a great idea. I should have.. I dunno. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

So far the thing I've really enjoyed is practicing calligraphy every day. I only usually do 20 to 30 minutes a day, but it's so nice to just sit down at my desk, and just focus on something so complex. Calligraphy is so much like kung fu in some ways. Probably one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Some of the characters that one would assume would be the easiest, maybe only have 2 or 3 strokes, but they're the most difficult to make beautiful. Because they are so simple, there's nothing to distract the eye from the three strokes on the paper in front of you. If the proportions are wrong, or if your strokes are shaky, it's very noticeable.

That's why the basics are so important. The foundations of your practice really show through.

No comments: