Sunday 20 May 2018

On the Outside

Not being in the I Ho Chuan gives me a different perspective on our school's charity fundraiser, Pandamonium. It's interesting that, as a team member, there's so much planning and organizing that goes into the event. It becomes difficult to comprehend how the rest of the kwoon isn't as excited as you are about it.

It's different as a student not involved in the I Ho Chuan. Interestingly, I even have a secret spy in their midst, but I still feel much more disconnected from the event than I have in the past. As a student I see how someone else who's never been behind the scenes at this event might perceive what's going on vs. a member of the team.

It's harder to engage and takes more personal effort to be inspired by the mission than when you're on the team always talking about it. It made me realize, how important it is to engage students throughout the year. Not that this is the first time I've had this realization... You have to have the conversation over and over and over again about how important these core values are. This is what represents our school, not our kicks and punches, but how we conduct ourselves in the community and the world outside of the walls of our school. But it's also too easy to wait for others to make the real difference. I am trying to remind myself that many small actions, can make a big change.

No comments: