Sunday 13 May 2018

Ego

 At the beginning of class, we have our bowing in ceremony where I try to focus on what's to come and prepare myself physically and mentally for learning. Or at least that's what I thought I was doing. But we had a discussion at the end of class on Thursday that made me realize that perhaps my cup isn't as empty as I thought.

One of the purposes of the bowing in ceremony is to figuratively "empty your cup"; A ceremony to pay respects, remove your ego, and start with a fresh perspective ready for learning. Something to remind us of our humility. Ideally, as a black belt, you are able to take a completely new concept, and apply it because of your understanding of the six harmonies. But many times, our ego prevents us from letting go of what we know, and hampers our efforts to learn. In order to achieve a real connection with your instructor however, this is a hugely important step.

So, it was a wake up call. I have some work to do. Which I already know, but it gives me a great direction to go in and gives me a renewed purpose. To cultivate that level of learning and understanding.

No comments: