Sunday 10 December 2017

Christmas Spirit

I had so much fun last night during our shift. I felt really proud of our group for taking on this extra time to raise funds for a great community cause. A friend of mine said to me, "I bet that was boring. You just sit there and ring a bell." But before I knew it, my hour was over and I was handing over the bells to Mr. Kohut.

I tried to spend my time there being really in the moment. Looking at people in the eyes and smiling at them. Genuinely wishing everyone great holiday spirits and encouraging generosity with my own spirit. And I think most people were very receptive. 

This time of year can be hard, because this is the time of year where almost all charities are driving hard for fundraising. So you have to choose the charities that speak to you personally. I was excited because at work this year instead of gifts for our clients, we took the money and donated it to some local charities. I think if everyone did this rather than give gifts, we could make this season a great one for almost everyone. Perhaps that's just naive, but I like to think of the small things we do, that can make a big difference. 

This season often encourages consumerism, what better way to turn things around than to give back? 

“Money is not the only commodity that is fun to give. We can give time, we can give our expertise, we can give our love or simply give a smile. What does that cost? The point is, none of us can ever run out of something worthwhile to give.”
Steve Goodier

No comments: