Sunday 28 May 2017

Plastics

Well, pandamonium was really fun. We didn't seem to have as many people come out this year, but there was an amazing atmosphere on and off the mats. It was great how many people participated in the 24hours of continuous Kung fu. 
While in Houston, Brandi was telling me about a documentary she watched called addicted to plastic. She found it depressing and very discouraging, but she decided she wanted to then try to go zero waste. Which sounds like something anyone could accomplish, but it's definitely not as easy as one would think. We were even talking about how it's virtually impossible to buy berries that aren't in plastic. So this again has made me more conscious of what I'm purchasing and how it's packaged.

The cool thing is that just like 2 days after I got home, I found out that Bulk Barn is now allowing people to bring in reusable containers. I remember the first time I tried this and the discussion that ensued with the cashier as to why I wasn't able to do that. To me, that was the biggest reason to shop there. It was really frustrating. Happy to say, I made my first purchase this week in a reusable glass jar. This isn't a Bulk Barn advertisement or anything, but I think it's worthwhile for a lot of people to check it out. It's crazy how something so small can be so rewarding. I think if we all shopped more mindfully, the idea of zero waste would be much more realistic. It's something that I'm working on this year. One purchase at a time.

No comments: