Sunday 19 March 2017

The Joys of Aging

This week has been an interesting one. Straight off the plane I started feeling sick and was ridiculously nauseous. The first day I thought I might have the flu, but by the second day, I realized that there was something else going on. I went into the doctor and was told I had a major buildup of fluid in my ears. This is not the first time this has happened to me, but fortunately this time, my eardrum didn't burst. So I've been pretty laid up. Until Friday I was mostly useless although I tried my best to hold it together at classes since I told Sifu Freitag I would be there.

I had the wonderful experience today of celebrating my mom's birthday. As a kid, I remember that everything at home seemed like a chore, but as an adult I'm lucky to have outgrown that perspective and had a wonderful time cooking what turned out to be a great meal for my parents. There was some experimentation  but all went fairly well.

Reflecting on how much I enjoyed making and sharing the meal, I've decided that aging is great. I wish I had the perspective I have now when I was young. Not that I didn't have some spectacular moments in my youth, but I wish I could have appreciated them more. Living in the moment has become something that through the process of the I Ho Chuan I've sort of adapted to. I've never had this necessarily as the forefront of my goals, but I think through pursuing mastery, I've been drawn into this practice.

It makes me appreciate so much more, all of the things I have, and all of the things I can look forward to.

1 comment:

Kevin Lindstrom said...

The I Ho Chan has had a similar affect on me as well.