Friday 10 June 2016

Changes

The past few weeks have been nuts! I sprained my ankle on Sunday. Not a bad one, but annoyingly enough, it's my good ankle. The one that's never been sprained before. I guess it will even me out.

This diet is a test for sure. Or should I call it a lifestyle change? Because it certainly is that. Never before has my day revolved as much around my food as it does now. I spend probably a couple of hours a day cooking and preparing food. The idea to be that I'm healthier. And I feel good. I feel stronger, I have more stamina, but it's hard to say how much of it is my body healing, and how much is food related. I do feel good though. And since I became more mindful of my food as an adult, I've found myself having pangs of guilt every time I had an unhealthy snack. Guilt, no more! I know the foods I'm eating are healthy because I made them. That gives me some control over the things that are going into my body. I was saying just last night... I'd rather change my diet and not have to be afraid of relapse, than to spend my days worrying that I might get caught by GBS again. No way do I want that. I don't have the money at this point to eat a grain and legume free diet. But all in all, things are going pretty darn good.

I've been keeping a daily journal. It's funny, I've tried to keep a journal since I was a teenager. But I've always failed to continue. It goes great for a few days, then I skip one, and it all goes downhill. We all know what that's like. But maybe because my journal is motivated by food, similar to my own brain, I seem to be more interested in what I'm doing. After I write down my food, exercise, and amount of sleep for the day, I reflect briefly. It's always finished by my favourite part, one sentence of gratitude. It reminds me before I lay down to sleep, of all the things I have to be grateful for, just in a single day, sometimes in a single moment. And I think that's a great way to fall asleep.

1 comment:

Jeff Brinker said...

Ending each day with gratitude is a practice that has served me well since I was a child. I was extremely grateful for the meeting we had yesterday. I would like to do that more often.