Tuesday 31 May 2016

Re-evaluate

I found this Zig Ziglar quote that I loved...
" People say that motivation doesn't last. Well. neither does bathing. That's why we recommend it daily. "
This week coming up is forcing me to really reflect. At this point, my requirements suck.. let's just say that. I'm behind on everything. But I'm trying not to stress about it and just keep trying every day.

I missed last years farmer's day celebrations because I was just starting to have serious symptoms of GBS. I don't remember which day I was actually admitted to the U of A, but I know it seemed forever from when I started having symptoms, to when I was actually diagnosed. It was scary. I had lost enough strength in my legs and back that I couldn't walk on my own and my dad was picking me up to get me in and out of bed. I don't like thinking about it. People ask me and I always have some weird kind of scripted answer that I ramble off. I prefer to think about the recovery. That's the upswing.

I've learned a lot in the past year. I'm a lot stronger than I realized. The biggest thing that I am always thankful for, is that I was lucky enough to be home. This could have happened anytime, and I'm so happy that I had such a strong support system with me. This year has reminded me how lucky I am. I'm lucky I have great medical care and that my parents didn't have to sell everything for me to get the care I needed. I'm lucky I have such great friends and teammates that helped me along on this journey. I'm lucky my recovery is going so well and I'm 'technically' fully functional (I'd have to disagree but I have always had high expectations).

I thought China was tough, but I didn't even know what tough meant. I struggled through a lot there. Running, kicking, jumping, to extremes. But my biggest battle so far was the one where I spent my days inside my own head unable to move. I've come a long way and I have to say, I'm happy about that.




No comments: