Friday 17 June 2016

Small Increments

This week was my last week of therapy at the Glenrose. Although I'm happy in some ways that I've 'graduated', I'm also sad. The conflicting emotions when I analyze them make sense but, analysis doesn't always make everything clear.

A friend of mine from the Glenrose, shared her memory on Facebook today of sitting up for the first time on the edge of her hospital bed. I was reminded of the first time I sat up. I was hysterical, hyperventilating, crying, and convinced that I was going to somehow have my world come crashing down at that precise moment. Working up from there to sitting by myself for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, reminds me of my whole progression in the martial arts.

Incremental progression has been my focus long before I was sick. I've constantly been working to progress more towards the person I want to be some day. There's no specific ideal, but a person of great moral character and leadership that can share some of the things I've learned through my own practice over the years. I know I still have a long way to go. But I'm so grateful for the I Ho Chuan. I have goals that help me work towards the things that I value in my life. It is a constant inspiration to me to see how much hard work each member puts into their own progress and how we can feed off of each others' energy to really accomplish great things. Personally, and in the lives of the people around us. It is an amazing opportunity to be given, and it's something I appreciate more and more each day that I struggle with my own motivation and direction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations , definitely a moment worth celebrating.