Tuesday 3 February 2015

Justification

Sifu Brinker said something to me the other day that really made me think about how I approach my daily requirements, and some of the obligations in my life. 

He said that he didn't believe that there were truly evil people in the world, there were just people who managed to justify the things that they do, and choices that they make. It made me think about how many times a day I try to justify my actions, or reactions, in different situations. 

For example, I can justify the fact that I didn't do any pushups yesterday, but telling myself that it's okay because I donated my pushup time to doing a lion dance for the benevolent foundation. But where is the truth in that? I did donate my time, but is that the true reason that I didn't finish my requirements? No. It's not. I can justify poor diet choices by saying it's because I'm busy. Not good enough. 

I make a daily effort to be honest with myself. No rose coloured glasses involved in my introspection. I don't always achieve that, but I'm not always consciously making the choice to lie to myself. I have to take in to consideration all of the times I've lied to myself in the past 29 years of my life and start to become aware of negative patterns. I can catch myself justifying the choices that I make throughout my day, and really think about the things that I'm trying to achieve. On my path to mastery, I need to be consistent and compassionate with myself. Correcting my mind is my biggest battle, but I'm winning it, one thought at a time. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Only from personal experience can I say, "it's one thing to tell a lie and another thing to live a lie".