Thursday 25 June 2020

Who Are YOU on the Internet?

It's interesting trying to think about how to market oneself. What's they "right way"? Does a person want to attract students based on the persona that they put out as a martial arts teacher? Or a Daoist? Or does a teacher try to market the "real" self with a few edits? How many edits are too many? 

I think this question is what has made it difficult for me to continue blogging. What unrealistic expectations does this create in the student and master relationship?

When I'm part of a team, I feel like I'm representing all the black belts that I share my training space with. And that, I feel, definitely needs some edits. I am far from perfect. But yet, I love reading the real struggles and thoughts of people that are willing to step up and present themselves honestly. I find this to be far more inspiring that this strange caricature of what we're all aiming for. 

I have never been a huge fan of team sports. And as I am no longer a "team" member in the literal sense of the word, I think I'm going to go the route of honesty. I think I will respect myself more if I can represent myself accurately. I mean, I truly think that the best way to move forward is to look at yourself honestly, acknowledge flaws and faults, and figure out ways to grow beyond them. If I'm not sharing openly my struggles, then I believe anyone who actually takes the time to read this, won't truly understand what they would get from me as a teacher. Or as a student. Or as a friend. And this is important to me. 

No comments: