Monday 11 September 2017

Limits

We talk a lot about arbitrary limits in the I Ho Chuan. I know sometimes it may seem that I'm limiting myself, and to some degree that is true. Sometimes I have to convince myself to stop and take a break. Sometimes, the voice in my head is telling me, oh yeah, you can totally handle to take on these three more things today. But I have learned since I became sick that, indeed, that voice can be a liar. I have felt the after effects of some of my more ambitious plans, and it sometimes can wreak havoc on my system for days or weeks. Just as a lot of people get stuck on their couch, it's also easy to get stuck in a negative pattern of overdoing things, then a forced recovery.

And in comes the next step, progressing wisely. We're all not superheroes... yet. That doesn't mean that we can't achieve superherodom at some point in our lives. But, if we try to jump off the roof tomorrow and expect our cape to keep us from landing flat on our faces, there's a good chance we're going to be going several steps backwards on our paths to mastery. I try to always feel like I'm pushing myself. Sometimes mentally, sometimes physically, but I have to keep making progress.

My therapist said something to me on Friday that really stuck. She said, "the grim reaper on our shoulder, can make life truly sweet." I'm just going to keep that in the forefront of my mind when I'm deciding how far to push myself and which direction I'm heading. There are still so many opportunities for growth, and as long as I keep moving forward and keep loving life, I think I'm on the right path.

1 comment:

Daniel Sollinger said...

It is the correct path indeed.