Sunday 9 July 2017

Cutting Out Plastic

When we started this challenge I had a whole mental plan. As a lot of mental plans go, there were some seriously unrealistic ideas in my mind. For example, how much preparation it takes to buy groceries. We've been trying to do meal planning, which makes planning for shopping a lot easier, but still there's always those last minute things that you forgot about and those things that you're used to having as staples in your diet, that suddenly are unavailable.

Dan and I make a lot of smoothies, and we often use some kind of frozen fruit. I never really thought about how many bags that adds to our waste, although we are very diligent with our recycling. I filled up my car with reusable containers for my trip to bulk barn and it can be a little difficult to get used to. But I'm really hoping this challenge will make me more mindful of what I'm buying and how it's packaged and whether or not I should be using my purchasing power for that product.

I am making even more of my own food now. No convenient sauces in a plastic jar. No yogurt (because who has seen yogurt in glass?). And now that I just thought about it, no cheese! I'll figure it out. By the end of this mission to reduce my footprint, I might just be a full on homesteader...

You might be curious why?... why is plastic so bad? Here's a link of some really disturbing statistics about our use of plastics. https://www.ecowatch.com/22-facts-about-plastic-pollution-and-10-things-we-can-do-about-it-1881885971.html

P.S. Cellophane is biodegradable... it's not easy to identify. What I read is, if it rips straight it's cellophane based, if it stretches, it's not. I don't know how accurate that is. Just something to keep in mind if you're on board with this challenge.

No comments: