Sunday 30 April 2017

Vermicomposting

So Vermicomposting, or the fancy name for composting with worms, is my new project to reduce my environmental impact.

Vermicomposting is a great way to compost especially for people that don't have access to a yard. I do have a yard, but outdoor composting gets complicated in the winter time here. Also, if you're able to compost, recycle, and reuse, you can significantly reduce the waste being produced by your household. I learned that generally one worm bin is enough for two people, so a large family, might need to get creative or possible starting blending their compostables before giving them to the worms.

I mentioned that in Spruce Grove we were lucky enough to have a city compost pick up, but it was also pointed out that although that's great, it takes fuel to truck around picking up all the compost bins. Valid point. Also that you never know what your neighbour is throwing in their compost bin. If you have your own worm bin, you know exactly what goes into it. And what comes out of it is amazingly rich and nutritious soil.

I feel like there is also some spiritual benefits of physically dealing with the worms. It forces you to get up close and personal with what your soil is made out of and teaches you an appreciation for what a huge impact such a small creature can make. I've really been enjoying this process.

I took a course on composting with worms, and I'd say so far I've only really been mildly successful. My worms haven't died, but they're not flourishing. But, I'm still learning, so hopefully with time, I'll be able to expand my small worm bin into two.

2 comments:

Jeff Brinker said...

Cool, we can be worm buddies! Our guys have been composting our waste for a few years now. My daughter is the official family worm wrangler. I more or less just cheerlead.

Paul said...

Caylinns class has a vermicomposting bin in their classroom they started at the beginning of the school year.