Friday 14 April 2017

Goals

I thought since this Sunday I will be busy with a lot of family stuff, I'd start my long weekend off right.

I had a moment last night. A very important mental breakthrough for me. It wasn't about my flow as Sifu Brinker was trying to show us all, it was about my goals and what they mean to me.

For the last two years on the team, I had meditation as a goal. The first year, I had number of minutes, and this year I just tried for meditation every day. No matter the quantity. And for the last two years I've struggled with this goal. I have a hard time incorporating it into my day and I would say mostly it's because I let myself get too distracted and I'm not prioritizing it.

 I had so many reasons as to why I wanted meditation as a goal. It would help me manage stress (very important for auto-immune diseases), help me sleep better, keep me in a healthy mental state. I forgot one very important reason though. The most important reason for me and the easiest way for me to motivate myself to be disciplined. I really love meditation. I really like sitting still, somewhere quiet and preferably dimly lit, and just letting go while I focus on my breath. It's been a long time since I've sat and meditated and not felt distracted.

All of those other things are important benefits that meditation can have, but they don't motivate as much as just practicing something that I enjoy. I small shift in perspective.

No comments: