Sunday 19 February 2017

Happy 70

This Saturday was my Grandma Beckett's 70th birthday party. You know, it's amazing to have people in your life that constantly remind you how lucky you are. My dad's mom died when I was two. She had severe rheumatoid arthritis and was taking some trial medicines that eventually caused her liver to fail. I never knew her, but I've heard she was an amazing lady.

My grandpa remarried in 1989. Grandma Bev taught me how to make pickles (one of my favourite foods), she's always called me on my birthday, and when I was sick she came to the hospital at least once a week and gave me Reiki. She's been super supportive throughout my life and she's always introducing me to her friends so that they can all be awed at how awesome I am :) Bev was a massage therapist and started her own very successful massage practice. She only retired last year at 69.

She's an alderman for Leduc and is very involved in their arts community. She's always inviting us to music events at the Maclab theatre and keeping us informed of improvements to their city hall; such as adding solar power. She still makes pickles and I'm amazed by her green thumb. She's always showing me her sweet peas when they're in bloom.

Bev is one of those people that as you get older, inspire you to be a better person. She's just turned 70, and for her 70th birthday she went on a trek to Machu Picchu and to the Galapagos Islands. She did things she never dreamed she would be doing at 70, and she said she's had the grandest adventure of her life so far. I've never seen someone that was excited to be turning 70, but she's been planning for this for years.

We threw her a surprise party that somehow, actually stayed a surprise. She was so excited and kept telling us all how blessed she is. I have to say though, I feel like I'm the lucky one. When I grow up, I'd like to be just like her.

1 comment:

Kevin Lindstrom said...

She sounds like an awesome person and its awesome that she is part of your life.