Sunday 5 February 2017

Excuses

Sifu Brinker was talking to us yesterday in the meeting about unexcused absences. Although, I've been working really hard at being compassionate with myself the last couple of years because I do get more tired than I used to. I am physically still weak in a lot of ways, which I am currently working on, but I have been advised to make this process a slow one. So no, I'm not making all of the physical requirements. But some of the requirements I set even though I knew initially, I would not be able to meet them. I guess in a way, they are like a target. Which is the idea. I don't want goals that I can already achieve. How are they goals then? I want goals that I have to work my way up to. Something that I struggle to achieve. Maybe I don't achieve them. But I am consistently improving. I think that's what I am getting at.

But there are still times when I'm making excuses. Excuses for why I'm not going to meditate tonight. Excuses for why I still haven't really improved my calligraphy. Those kinds of excuses. But then I was reminded of this quote I read in a book recently, and it made me question not necessarily missing practices, but the other excuses I make to myself. Throughout the day, every time I brush off something that is important to me.


I've been keeping this in the back of my mind ever since I heard it. I think it will help me on my journey this year.

5 comments:

Yitzik said...

We also should not be too hard on ourselves. We need to also find the time to rest and relax.

Jeff Brinker said...

I believe whole-heartedly in that quote. I also agree with Sifu Csillag about being too hard on ourselves. Your choosing of goals that you know going in will be very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve, says a lot about your character and the strength of your approach. If we do not push ourselves beyond arbitrary limits, breakthroughs will never occur. Keep pushing, and never doubt how much you inspire the rest of us.

Sharidactyl said...

Be gentle with yourself. It's okay to be a superhero and a human at the same time. And you do it well!

Kevin Lindstrom said...

Setting goals that are difficult to achieve is something we all should do. Your resolve has inspired me to try harder and a lot of other people as well.

Michele Ward said...

There is a lot to think about in this post and I will definitely come back and read it over from time to time.