Sunday 27 November 2016

Diversity

Over the past 7 or so years, I have moved away from a lot of the friends and acquaintances. I feel like I have changed so much that I find it hard to relate to some of my old friends. We've grown apart and that's okay. Natural as we all grow out of our teenage years and early twenties. A lot of my friends are either still spending their time drinking beers and watching TV or they have gone in a different direction. Having children, and moving into that new phase in their lives.

Since being in the I Ho Chuan, the kwoon has become not only a place for training and pushing my limits, but a place full of people I can relate to. Which seems funny sometimes because I look around sometimes and we are very different people outside of the kwoon. Different occupations, different religions, disparate values in a lot of ways. Although we are a diverse group, we have a similar passion that brings us together. Not just kung fu, but our own pursuit of mastery. Kung fu is so much more than just physical fitness and martial skill. It's my most valuable tool for personal progress. And if I can learn to utilize that tool correctly, it's something that I could share with those around me.

As the year of the Monkey is starting to wind down, I've been thinking a lot about this year and reflecting on the progress and struggles of my year. Brandi told me the other day that for "the Ox" (my Chinese Zodiac), the past few years have been very difficult, but the coming year is supposed to give them a fresh start. I'm really hoping that next year is a bit easier than the last few. I know that struggling is what makes us learn and grow, but I'd like a little bit of time to recuperate. Keeping my fingers crossed for the Year of the Rooster.

No comments: