Friday 19 February 2016

To Change or Not to Change

I have to admit that I am a person that normally thrives on change. I like to go on trips to explore new and exciting things. I've never had the same job for more than 2 years. I consider consistent change to mean consistent growth.

But, since the GBS, I've found the change a lot more frightening. I want to feel more grounded. I put my plans to move out of province on hold. I'm not ready to take that big of a step. I suppose part of the it is that I don't really know when I'll be fully recovered. It can take up to 2 years to get full function back. I've been improving really quickly, but doctors and therapists consistently warn me of the possibility of plateaus in my progress.

My Uncle asked me, during one of our conversations the other day, how I stay positive. All I could say was that I just try to keep my eye on small improvements that I notice daily or weekly and that it really helps keep me motivated. I did my first knee pushup on Wednesday and I went through the house and told everyone. I was really excited. Even though I could only do it once. It didn't matter. I mean, that's one more than I could do a month ago. That means that all of my effort is doing something. The interesting thing about learning to do everything over again is that it gives you an opportunity to really break everything down and learn about how all of the parts of your body work together. I know it seems weird, but in so many ways, this experience has given me so many new opportunities. I've learned a lot. I'm changing on the inside. This has been an opportunity for huge spiritual growth.

Numbers for Feb. 8-14
Pushups (modified) - 480
Situps - 580
Tai Chi - 25
Nunchaku - 28
KMs - 33.86km
AOK - 12
Meditation - 0
Calligraphy - 0


1 comment:

Jeff Brinker said...

THAT attitude is what will bring success. Your GBS has taught me a lot and made me aware of many more opportunities that I have failed to notice.