Monday 4 May 2015

Cleanup

So I've had a tough week and a half or so. This is going to sound like such a silly post. But here's the truth.

I got really depressed after we cleaned up Rotary Park. Yeah, I know that's like the opposite of what's supposed to happen. I started off like yeah, we're gonna clean up the park and make a difference, and I left thinking, if this is just the small amount of litter that people don't throw in the bin, imagine the amount of waste we're making on a regular basis.

I already think about this daily. Every time I'm shopping I think about the packaging of the things I'm buying. I stopped (mostly) buying any sort of processed foods for this reason, when I was living in China. While I was there, I wrote a blog about how I wasn't sure that putting garbage in the landfill was a better idea than just throwing it out the door. At least then you're forced to look at and deal with your garbage. Their gardens are full of plastic bags, and their rivers and streams have trash everywhere. It's really sad to see.

When we were in Alabama we met Julia Butterfly Hill, and she reminded me of myself. Not because I've ever done anything as epic as living in a tree for two years, but because she was very honest about how she has to deal with her own cynicism when she looks at all the poor decisions we make as a culture, and the repercussions of those decisions. And how it seems like we haven't learned anything from the mistakes that we've made over, and over again.

I had a conversation with one of my coworkers that brought me literally to tears. He just repeatedly stated that the choices that one person makes, doesn't make any difference in the scheme of things. Accused me of being sentimental, and it broke me up a little. He's only 10 years older than I am. Why does he feel that way? Do the things I do really make a difference or do I just tell myself that they do so I'm not constantly depressed about it. I try to see the small changes, the choices that people make daily that make even a little bit of difference. Am I sentimental like he says? Or is he the one that's totally cynical?

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be surrounded by the people I have in my life.

2 comments:

Lindsay Gibbons said...

I totally get and appreciate this post. You are NOT just being sentimental. You care about the things we all should care about. Each time you talk about these things it has the potential to change how someone else thinks. 2 years ago I never in a million years would've thought I'd care enough to be a vegetarian or to actually research the products I am buying. That happened because someone like you spoke to someone like me. Don't ever change or doubt these things about yourself. You're making a difference even though it may be hard to see that sometimes.

Unknown said...

I've said this more than once. The reality is that everything is perceptual, we all have right to an opinion, right or wrong. Yin and yang is essentially about balance...there are and will always be good people and bad people. Melanie, from what I know of you, you are compassionate, caring, want to lead by example and want to do what is right in your heart!
People such as the individual you spoke of will continue to watch you make these small contributions to society and one day see the light! Don't stop doing the right thing, there are lots of people standing with you.