Monday 2 March 2015

Stereotyping



About a month ago, I was invited to a management training course to represent someone from generation Y. It was incredible to me as we examined stereotypes given to the different generations in the workforce, how unaware I was of the fact that I too was constantly unconsciously stereotyping others, and being stereotyped by them. Becoming aware of this in just one aspect of my life, really opened the flood gates for me. I started to become aware of all of the judgments I was making on a daily basis and how it was affecting my interactions with other people. I always considered myself open minded, but I realized that in some situations, I`m unaware of the snap categorizations I make.

As many people have heard I`m sure, Leonard Nimoy passed away last week. I read this old letter that he wrote, and it`s incredible how he`s taken a role that he played, and shared the thoughts of the character to make him relate-able to so many people. I`d like to share it with you. It`s something I intend to keep reading for a long time. Live long and prosper.

No comments: