Friday 23 May 2014

Is kung fu fun??

I have had a strange experience several times since coming to train at my school in China. I've heard from many different people, that training isn't fun. It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to be hard work and grueling, but it's definitely not fun. This always gets me a little bit upset.

Who decided that kung fu shouldn't be fun? Yeah, it's hard, and it's sweaty, and sometimes it's frustrating and difficult, but why can't it be fun too? Someone said to me today, yeah it's fun if you're just taking it easy and not practicing hard. I was a bit insulted. Just because I'm out there sweating my butt off and having fun at the same time, does it mean that you're training harder than I am? Or is there just something strange about me that I really love getting the shaky legs that you have after a really brutal class, or I finish class drenched in sweat but with a smile on my face?

Or is it that to them hard work is something that you're not supposed to enjoy? Is it important that you're forcing yourself to do something that you don't have fun doing? I really just can't understand this...

2 comments:

Yitzik said...

I'm with you. As hard as it is, it is also fun and rewarding.

Sifu Robyn Kichko said...

I'm with you sweaty and fun go together when you are talking kung fu. If someone were trying to convince me that running was fun, I might agree afterwards but before or during, my opinion would be much different :) I like running but I really have to push myself to do it because it is so hard for me. Kung fu is hard for me too but I love it so much it doesn't matter!