Saturday 25 October 2008

Goodbye Shanghai

So Shanghai was interesting to say the least. Thank god we stayed in a really great hostel. The ladies that work at the reception here were incredibly helpful. I don't know if Brandi and I would've gone anywhere without getting lost.
Besides a few dramatic moments, like almost being ripped apart trying to get off the train during busy hours, and trying to get a taxi in the rain, it has been an enjoyable stay. We ate at 2 really great vegetarian restaurants. The faux meat here is so much better than what's available in Edmonton.
Although the traveling is going well, I didn't realize how much me and Brandi would be arguing. It's funny because we haven't lived together in years and I just thought since we get along so well normally that we would be the best of friends. Not that we're not getting along at all. But I remember what it's like to argue with my sister every 10 minutes. Haha. I blame the jet lag.
Today was the highlight of our time in Shanghai. We visited a monastery called Yofu. Just walking along beside it on the street I felt the most calm I've felt in weeks. The smell of incense wafting out was like heaven.
We went to see a Jade Buddha. Which I've seen before in Thailand. But this was different. Sorry. I have no pictures because they were not allowed. It was a spiritual experience. The most beautiful serene looking Buddha I've seen in my travels. I feel much more like myself.
I'm looking forward to Beijing and the great wall. But more than anything I'm looking forward to starting my training. Every day is almost like we're just passing time, seeing sights, before we really begin our journey.
Soon our crazy overnight train ride will begin. Hopefully we make it through in one peace.
Hello Beijing!

No comments: