Sunday 11 February 2018

Adopting Driveways

This is one of my favourite parts of being on the team. I know it can be frustrating sometimes, but I get so much out of this requirement, I find it difficult to hold onto any resentment. I feel bad that so many of my teammates are missing out on the experience.

It's important to have empathy. We can't all completely understand each other but, trying to put yourself in your neighbours' shoes, can really change your perspective. Every time I go out to the driveways, I end up reflecting on my own circumstances and how grateful I am to be able to be a part of this. There are certain experiences that trigger memories and feelings for each of us. This one always reminds me that I could have been there. It could have been me that struggled through winter snow falls. I could have ended up house bound. I could have needed that help.

But instead, I'm blessed with the strength of character and body to help out some seniors. I get to do that for them because of how lucky I am. I don't know if I will ever take that for granted again. It's good to have these reminders. Remembering difficult times can make some of the sweet ones, all the sweeter.

Although, I usually fail to feel the same when it's my own driveway....


No comments: