Saturday 29 June 2013

Acts of Kindness

I was reading lists of people's daily acts of kindness. Sometimes the smallest act, can really change the way someone is feeling, and in turn, may encourage them to do something kind for someone else. This is a very basic principle, most of us have heard this before.

One of the greatest things about living here is that I can spend so much time every day cultivating my body, my spirit, and my emotions. I feel as though I've really begun to know who I am. But also while being here, I've made so many friends, and met so many amazing people.

I feel as though I've become a bit jaded, a bit cynical, while living in China, and it really bothers me. I'm sure this happens to many people as they get older. I know it's due to experience, but lately I've been forgetting to focus on all the great things going on around me. There's plenty to be thankful for. I've been so busy thinking of ways to improve my body, that I've forgotten that I'm also here to cultivate my character. In some ways, it's really difficult to put so much effort into relationships with all the people around me. But it's amazingly rewarding, if I just open my heart and remember.

"The soul is placed in the body like a rough diamond, and must be polished, or the luster of it will never appear" ~Daniel Defoe

No comments: